The next gen Finale26 VDL templates

You all may have seen my Facebook post regarding feature requests, productivity enhancements, fixes, etc. I'm starting a thread here for Finale/VDL users to post any responses.

If you have any thing you'd like to see happen with the templates feel free to reply with as much detail as possible. As responses grow, please check to see if others have already made a request similar to yours. If a similar request has already been made, reply to the original reply request. I'm looking for a way to gauge interest in a request or repeatable issues.

Just to start things off....

Currently there are 3 templates in the package that you purchase from The Write Score, a Battery Only, Full Battery/Front Ensemble, and a Default. So the first question is, is 3 template files too many? not enough? the wrong instrumentation? something else?

I settles on this configuration because a Battery only template seemed to be an obvious option. It requires the most initial set up of MIDI percussion maps and layouts. I was hoping to make it as easy as possible for writers to get started. The Default also seemed like a good idea for a writer who needs to create custom scores and has a more comfortable Finale experience level. The Full Battery/FE score is a bit more of a challenge. Not to create but to anticipate user needs and changing trends in arranging, scoring, and composition.

Now... respond away.... and Thanks for the input and using my product.

Is there a free option for templates?

The current versions of the Finale templates are only available for purchase from The Write Score. 

Not to be that guy, but why is the only way we can use this program we’ve already paid for with another program we’ve paid for behind a paywall?

No problem with asking that question. The templates are a convenience. They handle the process of setting up the percussion midi and layout maps required by Finale to interact with non-pitched percussion instruments. To create all of those instruments is a bit time consuming, then there are the instrument and implement change text expressions etc. All of these can be done by the user if you have the time and want to get a better understanding of how Finale works with percussion.

2 people like this

Has anybody got a link to The Write Score?

1 person likes this

1 person likes this

Thank you @Tbolske !

Hm. All the templates are asking for Kontakt 5, throwing errors and breaking them. Finale responds by loading VDL lite.

I need Kontakt 6 (64-bit) and the full sample set.
How do I address this?

In Score Manager from the Device column select Kontakt as your playback device. The Kontakt 6 device displays here just as Kontakt, Kontakt 5 displays as Kontakt 5. From the Sound column click Edit Sound to open Kontakt and load your VDL instruments here. Everything else with the templates remains the same.

The reason for Kontakt 5 displaying as the playback option is because that was the current version of Kontakt when the templates were created.

Ah! Thank you, got it. I was thrown by Finale telling me the sounds aren't installed on the system, then inserting VLD Lite instruments into the slots with the Aria player. After loading Kontakt for all the staves, I saw the multi in there that matched the template... good! Thank you. That was a lotta freaking work to put those maps together!

One last question for you..? If Kontakt 5 is installed, will the player show the VDL multi pre-loaded?

- or do we need to load em in Kontakt in any case... I'm wondering it it would be worth it to install Kontakt 5.6 ?

Those multis found in Kontakt are part of VDL rather than the templates. They should be visible in any version of Kontakt that is compatible with your version of VDL.

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment